chili con carne: spicy reconnections.

|
It was a spicy night on Tuesday. Between training someone to take over my hectic job and getting Christmas presents ready during my lunch hours, I was running as if I had flames egging me on.  After such a day, I needed spiciness to keep me going, as I had guests coming over. Chili seemed the answer to my peppiness problems.
I love cilantro. I am sure there are many of you 'booing' me out there. But I do love it.
To make the chili more 'heart-healthy', I used turkey (actually, that is a lie, Josh just couldn't find ground beef in the supermarket . . . . ).
The spiciness all around was enjoyed - displayed by the beads of sweat on our noses. The sign of a successful chili. 
Chile Con Carne
 
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 lbs. ground turkey
2 medium onions, diced
1 medium JalapeƱo pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin powder
2 tsp. coriander powder
1 tbs. oregano
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. chili powder (totally forgot this one, but it tasted delicious anyways)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper1 dried bay leaf
1/2 chipotle pepper blended with 2 tbsp. adobo sauce
2 tbs. lime juice
1 large can diced tomatoes2 cups fresh corn kernels
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

1. Heat oil in a large pot and add jalapenos, onions, and garlic. Caramelize them for 3-4 minutes.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Reconvene with old friends. 

0 comments: