prosciutto and herb rump roast: to gather all the wanderers around.

|
Beef roast. I don't think there is anything that could tie both Aussies and Canadians together more, except for perhaps lamb.
Though the climate is evidently cold in Whistler, Australians come in droves. As I walk through the village I feel as if I am in an icy version of my dad's town of Bundaberg, Queensland. Going through the checkout at the supermarket is like walking through another dimension, where Aussies actually enjoy the cold. Odd.
But while a friend of mine was away visiting family, I was fortunate enough to bring mine up for Christmas and utilize their place. My Godmother and I set up our inch high tree and set about bringing Christmas cheer to our small celebration.
I caramelized a grain-fed free-run chicken in a lemon sauce and we enjoyed simple fare that cold winter's night.
But, then the holiday was over and it was time for her to go. However, I remained, rapidly moving down the slopes on my two thin pieces of wood at a my own pace, not hindered by any one or any thing.
The village itself hindered me. Bringing the city to the slopes with the thousands of people that flocked to embark on a new year from a snowy town.
I also was able to start a new year. With friends. In a snowy town. With good food. And not once venture in to the village. Lovely.
I was also able to use my brand new baby -- my knife -- to cook the meal (promptly after this photo was taken I cut my thumb -- I'm really only used to dull knives).
I called out at one point - how does everyone like their roast? And since no one answered, I inflicted my own preference -- rare/medium-rare. Always remember, however, that the longer you let the roast sit (although it should rest 20 minutes before carving), the longer it will continue to cook. So my roast that was rare verging on medium-rare when I removed it from the oven became full fledged medium-rare by the time I could gather my troops to eat.
T'was a feast through the house and all the creatures were stirring, even a mouse.
Prosciutto and Herb Rump Roast

1 3 lb. rump roast, room temp. (always go for the one with lots of even marbling)
2 large onions, roughly diced
8 cloves garlic, roughly diced
100 grams prosciutto, thickly sliced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried sage
2 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. red potatoes
1/2 cup beef broth
2 tbs. flour


1. Preheat the stove to 350 F.  Make an X incision through the meat from top to bottom, straight through the meat, and widen it with your fingers.

2. Stuff the incision with as much procutto, onions and garlic as you can fit.

3. Place a frying pan on the stove and drizzle the olive oil on medium-high heat until it is sizzling.

4. Brown the roast in the olive oil for 5 minutes, constantly turning it until the meat has been seared throughout.

5. Place the roast in a large baking pan and surround it with the remaining prosciutto, garlic and onion, as well as the potatoes.  Cover the veggies evenly with the beef broth. Cover the pan with tinfoil and insert the it in to the oven.

6. Roast for 2 hours, covered with tinfoil, or until a meat thermometer inserted reads 130 F -- medium-rare.

7. Remove the pan and tent the meat with tinfoil for 20 minutes before serving.


8. Pray. Eat. Enjoy your alone time, your relaxation, and realize that your soul needs to breathe once in a while, preferably crisp mountain air.

0 comments: