caprese salad: the return of the elusive roommate.

|
So, shock of all shocks, a true caprese salad doesn't have balsamic vinegar drizzled on it. But when has staying true to a recipe ever stopped me from cooking? Besides, what is a true caprese salad nowadays? The ones that are commonly known are covered in balsamic, so when does popular opinion officially change the makeup of a recipe? I could begin to get philosophical here, but I'll refrain.


Caprese is one of the most simple 'insalatas', however, it is so lovingly treasured in Italian cuisine that is is generally served as its very own antipasto (starter dish) rather than as a side (as most other salads are). Considered the Italian representative in food (because of its tri-colour resemblance to the country's flag), it was thought to have originated on the island Capri and spread throughout the country. To me, it represents the freshness of summer, and hearkens me back to warmer days -- it made the sunshine's rays outside seem a little bit brighter and more caressing even with the heat struggling to break through the cold air.
It was a mellow night on Tuesday. The first in many. And I was able to enjoy it with a treasure -- my roomie (at least before she went to kickboxing class, and kept me on the phone while she was walking because it was located in the creepiest, darkest alley near our house).
While she was kicking . . . people[?] (I'm not even sure what happened in that class -- Jacqui came home extremely sore and then went straight to bed . . . and I resolved never to take a kickboxing class) . . . I finished my drawing. 
I'm pretty happy with it honestly, and that doesn't happen too often (you know artists, silly and temperamental creatures). Now, just for the frame. Which is going to be a struggle, but worth it for a good piece of art in my room, one that makes me want to sleep and feel the comfort of my bed. Yawn.
Insalata Caprese Salad
(I like writing it the way most signs in Ottawa are, only with Italian instead of French)


1/4 teaspoon dried oregano 
1/2 cup balsalmic vinegar
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
2 large fresh mozzarella balls (should be about the size of your fist), sliced to about 1/4" thick
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, kept whole and beautiful 
4 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
fine sea salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Place the vinegar and oregano in a saucepan on the stove. Simmer it for about ten minutes, or until it has been reduced by half. Remove from heat and let sit until completely cooled.

2. Arrange the tomatoes, mozza, and basil so they create tricolour stacks (it doesn't matter their sequence, just don't put the basil on the bottom, that would just be silly).
3. Drizzle the balsalmic/oregano reduction over the top of the salad. Drizzle the olive oil over the top as well. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. 
4. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Pick up a pencil and feel joy as each piece of graphite catches on the tooth of the paper.

3.

0 comments: