spicy roasted pepper hummus: a ghoulish dip.

|
I love hummus. Not the hummus you get here, but the kind served in Jordan and Israel. I remember going to a restaraunt with our friend Elias in the old city of Jerusalem, tucked away in a back alley, that was devoted completely and utterly to the hotly-contested Middle Eastern condiment.
To add a bit of flavor and pizazz to my dip this time, I decided to add sweet red peppers and spicy birds eyes (which will also stop me from consuming the entire batch in one sitting).
However, I did not eat this lovely protien-packed treat (I brought it for lunch the next day to work) before attending Fright Nights at the PNE -- instead, we all had the bright idea to go out for all-you-can-eat sushi. Very intelligent.
We had to make sure that everyone was tall enough to ride. Unfortunately, they were not.
But we all snuck on anyway.
Again.
And again.
I actually have the belief that the rides cured our sushi hangover. How -- I have no idea.
Brendan treated me to a ride in the salt and pepper shaker (?). Two people are at the bottom and two at the top, and then all (seemingly, but I don't know) 200 feet is spun in a circle -- exhilarating. We were stuck at the top for a few minutes as they loaded more people on at the bottom. It was beautiful. Dark, with the entire city stretched out before me, creating a haze that felt lower than me, while I was in the clear crisp air, so close to the moon and the stars. I could have stayed up there forever. But then we were falling down, down, down so fast and I was giggling and Brendan was yelling and it was marvelously fun.
This was the resulting hair.
Rides weren't the only thing to partake of at FN. There were also numerous haunted houses.
One had clowns. I loathe clowns. Detest. Hate.
Overall, however, it was a pretty great night. Made some new friends as well (ghouls seem to be attracted to a camera). They'll be at my next potluck.
(Ghoulish) Spicy Roasted Pepper Hummus

1 can chickpeas, drained
4 tbs. tahini
1/2 cup olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. paprika (plus more for sprinkling on the top)
1 tsp. cumin
1 roasted red pepper, peeled
2 roasted birds eye peppers or one roasted jalepeno, peeled
salt, to taste

1. Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until incredibly smooth and creamy and yummy.

2. Serve with a flatbread, like pita or naan (its nice when slightly warmed and brushed with olive oil beforehand).

3. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Actually, I retract the second word -- don't eat if going on scary exhilarating rides, just pray a whole lot.

0 comments: