leek turkey soup: liquid on a day filled with falling water.

|
The only way to describe this past Sunday is wet. When it wasn't pouring, it was drizzling, and when it wasn't drizzling, it was spitting. I was once again computer-less, book-less, and wandering aimlessly through the sodden streets.
The solution? As always, make soup. This time, however, I had a leek just reclining in my crisper, waiting to be used (peeling back a layer to show me the lovely white flesh underneath - oh scandalous!). When it taunts me like that, how can I not use it?
But, what do I do with a huge pot of soup? I am a self-admittedly moderately tiny person, and a couple gallons of soup would take me eons to get through (hence the over abundance of leftovers in my freezer). So, I called up my aunt and invited her over. Unfortunately, she couldn't make it, so I decided: why not feed as many mouths as possible? I sent Jered a text and brought it over (trust me, carrying a pot of soup on the 99 B-Line bus is not the brightest of ideas, though it smells good). No ounce of the soup was wasted, and I was able to enjoy boisterous company, instead of trying to slowly sip away at the entire pot for several weeks. Sharing food with friends is always better than eating on your own. Always.
Leek Turkey Soup

2 turkey legs, bones in
5-6 c. chicken stock
2 large leeks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 c. Italian parsley, chopped
2 bird peppers, thinly chopped (optional - if you want it hot)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

1. Combine turkey legs, onion, garlic, chicken stock and dark green part of the leek leaves in a large soup pot. Add enough water to cover it all. Set the stove to medium-high and let it simmer for about an hour, or longer if able to.

2. Strain the stock and reserve it. Take all pieces of turkey off the bones and place it in the stock, discard the onions, garlic, bones and dark green leek. Put the stock and meat back in the pot and add the carrots, the rest of the leek thinly sliced, parsley and salt or pepper to taste. Let it simmer until the veggies can be pierced by a fork.

3. Pray. Eat. Enjoy with friends, never eat soup alone on a rainy day.

0 comments: