pan fried salmon with sweet mustard sauce: fish to remind me of a good day.

|
My 'real' birthday was on Sunday.  It was a more mellow day than the one before as we were in 'recovery mode' from our adventures.
Again. Yet again. Breakfast. At Nice Cafe. We had to show Robbie and Gord - they loved it.
After our hearty meals, we headed over to the Latin American Festival at Trout Lake. Filled with music and food, we couldn't help our hips from swaying, but then realized - we were expending way too much effort in the heat.
We settled on the long, damp grass, with a warm breeze playing across our shoulders and echoing beats of Latin music in the distance (accompanied by the constant snapping of a lens as Robbie played with my camera - is that what it is really like for me to be around?!).
After Stel and Robbie left us, we met up with Steve and went to the pitch and putt at Queen E Park. It's funny - I always resisted playing the game where you hit a ball with a stick, for the only reason I would ever play would be to please someone else - however, when I made the choice myself to go, just for the heck of it, I had the time of my life. I think I might adore this odd-game-that-Robin-Williams-makes-fun-of. 
On my first hole, I hit par. Oh yeah baby.
On around the 14th hole, Steve almost hit a birdie, but then missed the hole by a few centimeters. Oh no, poor baby.

The boys then treated me to dinner. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday.
Because the previous day was so good, I decided to try to recreate at least the culinary feeling by making salmon for dinner on Monday. Hopefully this recipe conjures up lovely memories for you too - it will always make me think of the amount of expletives that golf makes you use.
Pan-fried Salmon with Sweet Mustard Sauce

1 lb. salmon fillet
1 tbs. seedy mustard
2 tbs. dijon mustard
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tbs. dried tarragon
1 tbs. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbs. olive oil and 2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste


1. Combine all ingredients except salmon and 2 tbs. olive oil in a bowl. Spread the marinade all over the salmon.

2. Heat a frying pan over medium with 2 tbs. olive oil. Place the salmon fillet, skin down first, for about 4 minutes on each side, covered with a lid.

3. Serve on quinoa and a bed of greens with skin side down. Spoon remaining marinade and onions over the top.


4. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Golf.

4 comments:

A Plum By Any Other Name said...

Ha, love #4! Great pictures. Great documentation of your day. And from the looks of it ... great salmon! Nicely done. :)

lacey - a sweet pea chef said...

Salmon with a sweet mustard sauce sounds really good. I make a pan-roasted salmon with a cumin-cinnamon-ginger-mustard rub that I love. I'll have to try this one out, too! Happy (belated) birthday! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

G. said...

happy belated birthday to you!

fotografiafoodie said...

thank you all!