oven cooked chicken with roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and kalamata olives: enough food for a decision

|
I made a big decision today. They (whoever 'they' are) say that education determines tour life. If so, then I may have skewed my trajectory. Or aligned it with what my end goal truly is - we shall see.

I decided to let SFU know that I will not be attending their Master's program for International Development in the fall, regretfully. I've decided to work for a year and take classes so I can apply for a Master's in Occupational Therapy. There is something to be said about close human interaction, rather than being an academic on a pedestal - I would rather be the former.
So, I consoled myself with artichokes. Their tender yet vinegary flesh gave me the support I needed about my decision - their tang spurred me to realize that my end goal is the same, just how I achieve it may be different than before.
The most empowering feeling comes with complete and utter creation - so, in order to feel some 'order' in my life, I made my own recipe.
I invited Kevin over to share it with me, and as you can see from the following photo, he enjoyed it.
We then headed off into the city, over the bridge, in the dwindling daylight. It was marvelous, and a calming thing to do after a day that had so much weight. So, I made a decision, then empowered myself with a recipe. Not a bad day, if I say so myself, just one with conflicting emotion. But, as I always say, the best way to sort yourself out, is to cook.
 Oven Cooked Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers, Artichoke Hearts, and Kalamata olives

1 large onion, chopped
1 head young garlic, chopped
2 roasted red peppers, skins removed
1/2 c. Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/2 c. Marinates artichoke hearts, drained
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tbs. oregano dried
1 tbs. basil driers
2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/4 c. Crumbled feta
1/4 c. Mozzarella cheese (optional)

2 chicken breasts, de-boned and skinned

1. Preheat oven to 400f. Heat cast iron skillet on medium with olive oil in it. Place in garlic and onion - cook until brown and caramalizefs. Afs roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and olives. Cook for 1 min.

2. Place chicken breast in skillet - make sure there is a layer of the mix under ans coverig the chicken to keep it moist while cooking. Place tomatoes and feta on top. Cover skillet and place in oven.

3. Cook for 30 mins covered. Put on a low broil for another 10, or until feta has browned. Serve hot.

4. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Make a huge decision with the strong taste of olives and artichokes in your stomach for fortitude.

0 comments: