There should be something light, with a range of flavors playing off each other, held within the ricotta cheese. I decided that puff pastry would be the perfect vehicle to deliver this delight into mouths. A baked dip, on the bread already (I know, its been done, its standard, but just let me think that I'm pretty innovative)! What an appetizer. Oh, what an appetizer.
Then, I saw the penis straws.
But with such friends, such support around her, a few too many male-objects didn't seem to affect the enjoyment of the evening.
1 box frozen spinach, moisture squeezed out
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 container (16oz) ricotta cheese
1 container (16oz) sour cream
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 eggs, beaten slightly
1 tsp. dried tarragon
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. parmesan (optional)
1/4 c. butter, melted or olive oil (I prefer olive oil for this recipe for the taste, but butter will make the phyllo that much lovlier)
10 sheets phyllo dough
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix the first 12 ingredients together until well mixed (redundant sentence I know, but just to accentuate the point - not blended, mixed).
2. Place a sheet of phyllo on a baking sheet. Brush butter on the sheet. Place another sheet of phyllo on top, brush butter on, and place another layer of phyllo. Repeat this until all the sheets are used up. If it looks too thin to you, add more phyllo, or if you're like me and love lots of dip but little bread, then use less. Its all at your discretion.
3. Brush butter on the edges and fold them over so they create a ridges on the sides. Pour the dip on the phyllo and spread it evenly to the ridges.
4. Place in the oven. Cook for 30 mins. If the dip still seems a bit jiggly in the middle, then cover and cook for another 10(ish). Place the oven on broil and brown the top for a few minutes. Cut and serve.
5. Pray. Eat. Enjoy and promise never to bring another phallic shaped object near me again.