1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tsp. dried thyme
3 tsp. white pepper
3 small racks of pork riblets
4 c. sodium-reduced chicken stock
2 c. dry green or yellow split_peas
1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
salt, to taste
1. Pour the olive oil into a large soup pot and place it on the stove at medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry them until brown - about 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and reduce the heat to medium. Let the soup simmer for about 2 hours, or until the peas have become soft.
3. Remove the pork riblets and set them aside to cook. Meanwhile, blend half of the soup and add it back into the pot - if you want no texture whatsoever then just blend all of it.
4. Take the meat off the riblets and cut it into small chunks. Add them back to the soup.
5. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Remember being a kid again while suppressing the urge to throw your food.