(pseudo) malaysian pork stir-fry: a meal to be lulled to sleep with.

|
I think I spent most of my weekend, the last long weekend of Summer, in Langley. Odd. I went out on Friday night to the soccer game, Saturday night to celebrate a friend's new house, and went to mass at Trinity Sunday morning (T'was lovely! With so many people, and the music, it was just what I needed). I just can't seem to draw myself away completely from the tangled web that is my old alma mater.
However, the best friendships are those I formed while at TWU. And since many still reside in Langley, it is no hardship to travel out there just to see their lovely faces.
I have fond memories, some of my best, of often visiting these particular boys during my third year. No matter what time it was, there were always adventures to be had (or witnessed) when we entered their apartment.
Solely for me to reminisce (well, actually this is just still a common occurrence, and heck, an amusing one), the boys decided to combat each other with a variety of objects (ranging from a bright feather duster, to my tripod). Brian idly stood by and threw shoes at their flailing bodies.
Eventually, a watermelon was smashed, and Chris crowed with triumph (though I must say, Jay is quite good at hand to hand combat).

Eventually they quieted down, enough so that we could revive my fondest memory of all my years at Trinity - reading bedtime stories. During third year, I would stroll over to the boys, they would climb into bed, and I would perch on a chair, quietly bringing sound to the words of CS Lewis. Every memory should be treasured, but that is the one I hold in the highest regard, and I was glad we could revive it.
(Pseudo) Malaysian Pork Stir Fry

2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 brown onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced2 red bird's eye chilies, thinly sliced
1 lime, juiced
1 can of coconut milk
3 tbs. brown sugar
1/4 c. soy sauce
Pork loin, cut into chunks
Vegetables of your choice (I'd suggest broccoli, mushrooms, and bell peppers)

1. Brown the onions and garlic in 1 tbs. of the oil in a wok on medium-high, until they are brown and caramelized. While doing this, blend the coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice together. Once combined, add the chilies.

2. Add the coconut mix to the onions and garlic, and turn it down to a simmer. Let it simmer about five minutes, or until about halfway reduced. Add the pork loin and simmer until cooked, it shouldn't take more than ten minutes (do it so it is just barely cooked, still inclined to be pink in the middle).

3. Remove the pork mix from the wok and set aside. Add in the other tbs. of oil and vegetables. Stir until almost completely cooked. Add the pork mix back in and let it warm with the vegetables. Serve on a bed of rice.

4. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Revive fond memories, and read a bedtime story.
3. Remove







0 comments: