creamy tomato soup: shield against the rain.

|
As I've said before, and will say again, rain inspires soup. Whether its drizzling, pouring or spitting, the continuous falling water that characterizes Vancouver makes you want to curl up somewhere warm, with a quilt and a bowl of soup. I always loved the rain. Especially driving. There is something about jumping into a car, rubbing your hands to revive the feeling, and then being contained in this little area of warmth while you realize how cold and wet it is outside.
So, I made soup. Because I took the skytrain yesterday, and felt the same way I do while traveling in a car while its raining. I needed soup. I put a pot on to boil, and Brendan brought over spectacular bread. 
Soup and Curb Your Enthusiasm. There is no better Sunday night.
Creamy Tomato Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 cups chicken stock
1 large can roma tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 tbs. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
1 tsp. paprika
1 pkg. soft tofu (if you really want to be unhealthy though, you can use 1 cup cream or whole milk - I wish I could do that, seriously.)
salt, to taste (you shouldn't need any because of the chicken stock)
pepper, to taste

1. Throw everything, except for the tofu, in a large pot on the stove. Simmer for about an hour.

2. Blend all the soup, starting with the tofu mixed with some soup broth. Stir it all together until completely mixed.

3. Serve with some spectacular bread on the side.

4. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Breathe on a window and draw a shape, or follow the rain slowly rolling down the window with your finger.

0 comments: