fresh watercress salad with sweet balsamic vinaigrette: only found at a vancouver market of farmers.

|
 I love a slow day. Work wasn't, but my lunch was. As I meandered through the crowded hot streets of Granville, I came upon my favorite buskers the Sons of Granville. They are often playing between West Georgia Street and Robson Street, and have complimented me before on a blue dress I wore one day (in front of people - embarrassing - but points to them for stroking my ego), yet that is not the reason I think so highly of them - I just love the combination of acoustic guitar (with great tapping beats) and violin. As I stood and listened, I realized that I would like to do something out of doors after a day of being surrounded by white walls and continuously ringing phones. I would head to an outdoor market.
 Vancouver is full of outdoor markets in the summer. Fresh produce comes to us city-folk from the lush outlying region of the Fraser Valley or even further from the gorgeous Okanagan.  I decided to 'hit-up' the only one I knew of that happens on a weekday - the Main St. Market, near the old Pacific Station.
Though this old historic site is known for being slightly seedy, it just livens up with vendors hawking their wares, hipsters being, well, hip, and children running through the sun-dappled grass.
There were a myriad of veggies. I was so excited, flitting from stall to stall. Finally I settled on what I would buy: beets (of course! My favorite.), yellow beans (a great work snack), basil (again, of course!), and watercress.

I have never eaten watercress before (I can hear the gasps of shock already, considering how much I adore my greens). So, I decided to expand my palette. With more than 15 essential nutrients, and a peppery taste, it is the perfect accompaniment to a sweet dressing. In ancient times, it was regarded as having medicinal, or even strengthening, properties. Napoleon supposedly adored it and, considering he has the same birthday as myself, that is a ringing endorsement. So, I had to partake.
Fresh Watercress Salad with Sweet Balsamic Vinaigrette

2 tbs. olive oil
3 tbs. balsamic vinegrette
2 tbs. chopped basil
1 tbs. honey 
1 medium garlic cloves , minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper (or white pepper)

1 lb fresh watercress, chopped, tough stems trimmed
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1/2 avacado, sliced 
1red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 medium zucchini, chopped

1. Blend first 7 ingredients together. Set Aside.

2. Assemble veggies. Drizzle dressing on top. Serve immediately.

3. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Find local, eat local.

0 comments: