Chicken Borscht: food for films.

|
Again, it was a cold day on Sunday morning. I'm starting to feel the chill of autumn, and my inclinations in cooking are reflecting it.
There are two things that I adore when I'm making dishes for people: serving them foods that they have never eaten before, and somehow incorporating my favorite vegetable of all time, beets. Borscht served both those purposes on Sunday.
Gord and I had actually planned a golfing day. However, since the sun is setting so early these days, and our stomachs only partook of food so late, we decided a movie was more in order (with golf being put off until Friday). Tinseltown theatre in Chinatown always has good films - Sony Classics and Focus Features being two production company mainstays at the theatre (and also two of my favorite producers of quality films). Get Low, a receiver of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes (an amazing rating on a harsh site), was an intriguing movie full of folklore and tall tales - enjoyable to say the least. If you get a chance, go see it.
Chicken Borscht

2 chicken breasts
4 c. chicken stock (homemade is the best, which I used)
2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
3 carrots, chopped
4 medium beets, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped (I didn't get to use for this particular soup, because I was remiss in remembering to buy it, but it is an important ingredient for any good borscht!)
1/2 c. fresh dill, chopped
1/2 tbs. dried oregano  
2 bay leaves
salt, to taste
pepper (loads if you can stand it), to taste

sour cream

1. Take a large soup pot and heat the olive oil in it on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until brown, about 3 minutes.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for an hour or until the liquid has reduced by about a quarter. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

3. Pray. Eat. Enjoy. Get Low.

0 comments: